Villas and houses

THE RITZ HOUSE

The Ritz House occupies a prominent corner of the Varaždin main square, Korzo and Franjevački Square. Sipping morning coffee, especially on Saturdays, has a whole new meaning people-watching the colourful promenade of Varaždin locals.


The house simply oozes delightful Renaissance period features. Under the porch is a well-preserved stone entrance with a carved monogram IA – Andreas Italus de Argent, and the year 1540. Italus was a Varaždin goldsmith from the 16th century and 1540 could depict the year the house was buit. The house got its rather fancyname after the previous owner, who in the early part of the twentieth century had a coffee house – remainiing one of the City’s cafes.

Ivan Padovec’s birthhouse

The appealing, historic and short street that connects the lively Miljenko Stančić Square with the calmness and elegance of Uršulinska Street, is named after Ivan Padovac, composer, inventor and guitar virtuoso. Blind Padovec was a respected guitarist and composer throughout Europe, and is known as the inventor of the double neck guitar.


The painter Ivo Režek lived in the same house. The birthplace of Ivan Padovec is today home to the Varaždin Tourist Board and Tourist Information Centre.

Müller – Bedeković Villa

In 1827, Varaždin physician, Dr. William Müller built this beautiful villa as his modest home, in the immediate vicinity of the city park he founded. German by birth, he came to in Varaždin in 1820, and remained fully engaged in community life until his death in 1863. In addition to his merits for building the park, he also initiated schemes to pave downtown streets, construct sewers, plant tree lines and introduce oil lamp street lighting. He opened a public bath in his house and a chicory factory in the neighbouring Anina Street.


The villa is named after its later owner, ‘Ban’ Koloman Bedeković, who transformed it into classical style.

Previous
Next
The Mekovec House

This single-storey building was once an integral part of the Batthiăny Palace in King Tomislav Square. In essence, its architectural elements are of the later classical Baroque. It plays a special role in the history of the City because it housed the Old Varazdin Theatre, whose large hall once held city balls, dances and theatre performances until the City was honoured with the magnificent Croatian National Theatre.

A civil house in Gajeva Street

This is a typical Varaždin Baroque house from the 18th century and a true rarity. Those houses were once occupied by locals who were neither aristocratic nor rich. The ground floor is adorned with baroque stucco medallions featuring frescos of St. Catherine of Alexandria, the patron saint of education and learning, along with symbols of her martyrdom.

X
Skip to content